Skip to main content

Scam

This email serves as a warning to all lawyers.

On 22 May 2008, when i walked out from the court to try to get a cab at around 5.45pm, I was approached by a motorcyclist of a Malay descent, who speaks perfect English, (just right in front of the court) who was fetching , presumably his wife and kid and claimed that his kid has severe bronchitis and needs oxgen treatment. I looked at his kid, he looks sick indeed.

He then showed me his stack of RM10 notes and he said he was short of RM28 for the oxygen treatment. i then gave him RM30. He, like all con-men, promised to pay me back and even took my mobile number down on a piece of paper. Just right after he took down my number and the money, he sped off on his motorbike, rushing to save his kid.

At that moment, I actually felt sorry for the kid and prayed that the kid does recover after the treatment.

But to my disappointment, I was told by a friend that there were similar reported incidents happening around the court area.


Lai Chee Hoe
Chair
Social, Arts and Culture Committee