Welcome to the KL Bar Blog

Wednesday, 26 August 2015


The Pupils Committee organised another hike with 11 participants on 25 July 2015 to Kuala Kubu Bharu (KKB) to experience the cold waters of Chilling Waterfalls. The name Chilling Waterfalls is a dead giveaway of what was to be expected of the water temperature.

We began our journey, which took more than an hour, at 6:15 am from Jalan Duta Court. The drive passed scenic views of the Selangor Dam in KKB shortly before we reached the starting point of our hike. Unfortunately, we had just missed the sunrise. When we arrived at the entrance of the hike to Chilling Waterfalls we were greeted by the loud sound of water gushing through the streams along the walking path.

However, to our dismay, the Park Ranger told us that the water level at the waterfalls had risen sharply due to a heavy downpour the night before and some streams were now unpassable. We were told to wait for the water level to subside by at least two feet,  before we could commence our hike. We decided to wait and see if luck was on our side.

At 10:00 am, the water level eventually subsided to safe levels to enable us to begin our hike which covered mixed terrain. After a three kilometre walk and having crossed five streams, we arrived at the breathtaking waterfalls. It was a challenging experience for many of us as the water level came up to our necks at some crossings. The water levels were too high and dangerous for swimming. We hiked to the smaller falls and had a picnic there. We were all ravenous and devoured our packed food. Someone had brought some nasi lemak to be shared and it was delicious!

The time then came for us to take a dip in the waterfalls. Apart from our Chair, Shashi Devan who clearly showed his disapproval for the cold water, everyone gladly jumped in. Of course our Chair was eventually forced to jump into the water for a group picture. We spent a good hour relaxing at the waterfalls before deciding to embark back. The return journey seemed to take forever. We were exhausted and arrived back in Kuala Lumpur by approximately 5:00 pm.

Based on the participants’ feedback, although it was quite a tough and gruelling hike, everyone had an enjoyable and memorable experience. The trip was well worth it.

Contributed by: Shankar Govinth Balachandran

No comments: